Monday 12 June 2017

Happy Monday!


It's hard to believe that we're already counting down the days to the end of Term 3.

We still have lots to do before the end of the year and didn't waste any time getting down to work this morning.

We started with our mental math assessment on the "Halve and Double" strategy and then moved on to reviewing and completing a "Math Mobile" assessment we had started a few weeks ago. Mme Careen read our work and gave each of us specific, written feedback on how to more clearly communicate our thinking and include algebraic equations. We used these written notes to help guide our steps for the remaining two questions.

We spent the rest of the morning together in groups at the white boards working through two of the last problem-solving questions for the year! We collaborated with our groups to approach the question using different strategies. It was important that each group member understood how we arrived at the solution and that the solution itself did indeed make sense.


Our next step will be to take our own question sheet and to show and explain our work independently.
We will be assessed in three different categories:
Process and Strategies
I can identify important information in a problem.
I can choose a reasonable strategy and make an attempt to use it.
Mathematical Knowledge
I can use my mathematical knowledge to carry out my plan and arrive at an answer.
Communication and Reasoning
I can use words, diagrams, labels, etc. to give a complete picture of what is going on in my work and solution.
I can show my answer is reasonable by writing it in a complete sentence.

We have done a lot of work on showing and explaining our work through problem-solving this year, so these last two questions will give us a chance to show how much we have grown as problem-solvers (well beyond simply finding the answer and stopping there).

Looking forward to a busy, busy week of learning! :)

P.S. A note from Mme Careen:
While I have done my best to stay on top of students to complete and hand in their work, there are students who have not yet completed/handed in one (or many) of the assignments/assessments completed in Term 3. I will do my best to check in with everyone, one on one, over the next couple of days, but encouragement from home would certainly be a great help, too! My classroom will be open over the lunch hour (starting at 12:15) this week if students need to check in or would like a place to work. Many thanks for your continued support!

No comments:

Post a Comment